So for Dad’s Christmas present, I figured I’d build him something for his revamped/uncluttered Garage. And beings that we are a beer drinking family, I figured I could build him a Cap collage.
First I grabbed some old pieces of wood that I found in his garage when I cleaned it out a month or so ago. Then I painted “Jeff’s Garage” on it.
Then I had to find a 1 1/8″ hole saw. Which was tough to find in a set without buying a brand new one. (I ended up borrowing one from Britt’s dad). So I used Grandpa Chuck’s drill press to ensure even/level holes.
Then Britt and I carefully placed the 102 caps needed to fill every hole.
Then came the hardest part. making the pry-off caps fit. See when you pry off the caps with an opener, it bends the metal so the cap can come free. so I took a pair of plyers and bent them back into shape the best I could….it sucked.
Then Britt and I started glueing them in.
Then the Finished Product.
The last step will be to shine up the Caps
Merry Christmas Dad.
Dad needed a new dining room table, and we actually had an old butcher’s block table in the garage (that your’s truely cleaned out a few weeks back). So we decided to strip the paint off the old thing, and stain it a natural wood color. So since I’m closer to Lewiston, I took the table to my grandparents in Clarkston so I could work on it after work with some help/advice from my Grandpa Chuck.
Here’s the table (Before). Ugly, I know.
Then we (That’s Grandpa Chuck) took it apart so we could strip everything properly.
Then we started by stripping one of the legs. expsoing some darn good looking wood. It should stain up nicely.
Then we stripped the table top, and threw some pre-stain on it to help seal up some of the cracks, and prep the wood.
Then we started staining. At first I thought it was going to be too dark. but it turned out pretty good. We stained the legs black so we could have black chairs.
After it dried we threw on a clear coat, and started putting it back together. We got all new hardware for it. Bolts/screws/etc.
And here it is in Dad’s house. Just in time for Thanksgiving dinner.
I went to viola today to work on my winter project, the stove. I cut the door out, and built hinges.
Here’s the photos. (keep in mind I can’t weld worth a damn, so grandpa/dad had to help me out after I left.)
Used the plasma torch to cut the door out.
Welded hinges on the body, and the door.
The next step will be to weld the body/tank to the base, an old Mack brake drum.
Until next time
While getting wood at Craig’s house I found an awesome junk pile. Old rusty gems.
I did find a couple of old rusty pieces I will hope to use out at the property. Including this tank:
I have some good ideas, and you’ll just have to stay tuned to see what I use it for.
I also found some Auger looking things, that I hope to use as some type of entrance artwork.
Just in time for October. I’ve just started making breast cancer awareness bracelets. They’re pretty cool, take a look.
I’ll take orders for the surrounding area.
Let me know if you’re interested.